My outside reading this year forced me to read more this year. This is a good thing because I enjoy to read, but I often find many obstacles that minimize time to read. Outside reading allowed me to make time to read many books I have been waiting to read. This along with the outside reading days and lunches is why outside reading has been an easy and enjoyable experience for me.
Over the course of the year, some of my reading skills have improved, but some have stayed constant. I have noticed an improvement in my ability to notice foreshadowing that the authors hints at in the book. Also my overall understanding of scenes in books has improved because of an increased vocabulary. (For example, when reading a book yesterday I noticed the word "tenuous" which happens to be one of the words a part of the worldly cards this week.) Some things that have stayed constant includes my enjoyment of action and adventure books and my fast reading speed.
When reading, I find myself rarely thinking about literary elements unless it is something like foreshadowing. Focusing on certain literary devices seems to take away from my enjoyment of reading for me. I do however focus on the plot, characters and things I can envision occurring in the foreseeable future.
High school is an important time for my reading ability to grow as it will become even more vital in the years to come. I know that the later grades of high school and throughout college, reading is a large part of schoolwork and homework. I plan for my reading ability to grow and maybe enjoy more genres that I have never read before.
Reading times:
Monday: Inheritance - > 100 minutes
Friday and Saturday: Inheritance - > 50 minutes
No comments:
Post a Comment