Friday, May 11, 2012

Class Participation - 4th Quarter

(Grading Scale 1-10: 10 being the best)

General Procedures:

10: I feel I did well in this area throughout the year and this quarter was no exception. Every day I brought my materials including my notebooks, books, and writing utensils to class. I also checked my email daily and when necessary, emailed the teacher for information regarding an assignment or even about a simple question. In addition, I rarely remember making unnecessary trips to the bathroom, water fountain, or to my locker during class time. I think all of this combined not only contributed to what I consider an appropriate grade in this category, but also improved my grade by always knowing what is expected of me. It also allowed me the full amount of class time to listen to discussions, which is part of what the next category of participation is about.

Lecture, announcements, whole class discussion:

9: Overall, I have done well in the parts listed in this area of participation. The reason I didn't consider this to be a ten is due to the infrequent side conversations in which I was involved. Another reason I gave myself a nine was due to my rare decision to not take notes on certain things that I felt unnecessary. For example, connections that I didn't consider important, I preferred not to write down. Another instance I felt taking notes was when a minute detail was discussed and it was something I felt I could remember easily without notes. Due to these two negative aspects of this area, I decided to equate each negative idea to be minus a half of a point or 5% for each.

Individual and Group Work:

10: I that when I was involved this quarter in group work or individual work, that I actually stayed away from and ignored many of the present distractions. In each of the assignments or projects that I completed individually were given good grades due to effort put in the task, which involved a lot of focus. During group work assignments, I often found myself trying to divide the work fairly and set up a plan to complete the work on time. Of course, I wasn't the only one with good ideas. The groups I was involved had at least one other person (usually everyone), who worked hard brainstorm ideas about the projects. Therefore, the group projects were balanced and divided evenly between everyone in the group, which ended up leading to successful projects.

Growth:

I feel that much of my participation has remained unchanged and steady throughout the year, however I have noticed minute growth during the year. Focusing and refraining from side conversations has improved quarterly. I am glad to see this improvement and I hope that my improvement alone helped to minimize the amount of time the teacher had to spend wasting on discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment