Saturday, April 28, 2012

Reflection of English I Writing


            The writing aspect of English class this year has helped me become a much better writer and has led me to a better understanding of mistakes or errors that I commonly make. My improvement as a writer becomes apparent when comparing each consecutive paper I have written throughout the year. The variety of papers I have written in English this year included a literacy narrative, profile of a person, literary analysis and a research paper. In addition to papers, I have written blog posts, such as this one, and other countless writing assignments.
            When beginning English I, I knew that I needed to work on supporting ideas and writing faster because in the past I have often struggled with that. Those aspects of writing were part of my focus for improving my writing. The combination of the two transpired in my struggle with the WrAP test this year. Normally, I do well, but this year, I found it hard to write about the topic given as I found it rudimentary and hard to expand on. Of course, the amount of time given didn’t help because there was no time to just think for a while or make a detailed outline.
            Each of the “Traits of Good Writing” plays a crucial role in developing a good paper, or just writing in general. The traits focused on this year include ideas, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions. With each paper I have written, I have noticed a fluctuation in my grade for each of these traits. Therefore, I made a table and graph to calculate which traits needed the most work. I figured out that my two weakest categories are sentence fluency and conventions (results are an average of all papers combined). Both of these categories would be another place to focus on next year.
            Not only do I need to work on the broader categories of writing, but I also need to work on specifics. One specific I need to work on is punctuation. Sometimes I find myself overusing commas. This can become a bad habit because it might lead the reader to a wrong interpretation. Other components of writing that need work are quotations and paraphrasing. In the research paper, I did well with quotations, except for that instance where I made the mistake of “dating Spiderman”. However, when looking back, I feel that I need to incorporate my quotations better. I also need to work on paraphrasing. Not once in the research paper did I use this technique. Looking back, I realize the advantages of paraphrasing and the potential it had for making my paper even better. Lastly, I need to refrain from using words like “very” and “a lot” because they are often overused and are less specific than other adjectives.
            I have noticed that each paper that I have written this year has its own unique struggle. With the first paper, the literacy narrative, the vivid details and sentence fluency were the hardest aspects of it for me. The next paper I worked on, the profile, I found it hard to write and keep in mind the perspective of the reader. Thinking in the reader’s perspective was crucial because the reader was supposed to be able to infer characteristics about the person or place being described in the paper. This is opposed to just simply stating the characteristics of the place or person. The third paper, the literary analysis, was the most difficult for me. I think if I had chosen a different story it would have been better and easier to write. In this paper I lacked support for my thesis, which in this paper seemed more essential compared to others. The final paper I completed this year was the research paper. If I had not “dated Spiderman”, this paper would have almost been impeccable because the rest of it was well written.
            One of the most vital things that I need to work on is analyzing my rhetorical situation. Often, I find myself taking this step for granted and ignoring it. I need to step out of this mindset of thinking and work towards utilizing what it has to offer me. I now realize after learning about it this year that analyzing my rhetorical situation can provide me with more ideas and help me to decide how to write in any situation.
            Moving into next year when I take English II, I plan to take with me everything I have learned throughout all of my years of writing. I plan to continue to work on two of my biggest obstacles supporting a topic and writing in a limited amount of time. Not only could this help with the WrAP test, but it could also help me to get better grades. The time management could also allow me to finish writing assignments faster and more efficiently. Another goal of mine is to make sure to stay in the tense I am writing in when it is essential. I also plan to continue to work on the basic writing skills, which could always need improvement such as word choice and sentence fluency. If I succeed in doing well with these goals next year, it will make it much easier throughout my last two years in high school and onward.
            I need to continue to work on analyzing my rhetorical situation, time management, support, tense and the “Traits of Good Writing”. This gives me plenty to consider when writing next year. There is always something to be improved when writing, but if I improve all of these aspects of my writing, it will be much easier to read and more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment