Friday, April 13, 2012

Analyzing the Lyrics of a Song

I decided to choose "Umbrella" by Rihanna, one of the songs listed on Dr. D's website. This song contains a lot of the expected end rhyming and repetition (in the refrain) that are found in many songs. However, this song contains many poetic devices not frequently seen in the lyrics of songs. Some of these devices I noticed were alliteration (the refrain), internal rhyme, assonance, enjambment and caesuras. (She also used analogies such as "Comin' down like the Dow Jones". ) Each of these devices give the reader/listener a better understanding of the lyrics. Also most of these devices provide a clear interpretation of the title of the song ("Umbrella"). I noticed this especially when I read the phrase and internal rhyme: "anticipation for precipitation".

Throughout the song the speaker is talking about another person and how they can "stand under [her] umbrella" and that they will "still have each other". This obviously means that the speaker loves this other person and will do anything to help him/her. This underlying meaning, which really is pretty obvious, likely has to do with the theme of this song. With all of these poetic devices, this song was an excellent one to analyze.


Link to song: http://www.metrolyrics.com/umbrella-lyrics-rihanna.html

No comments:

Post a Comment